Saturday, August 20, 2011

First Position

Are you a ballet mom? Do you spend your weekend with a ballet class inserted in your precious schedule? I do. So let's talk.

There are a lot of reasons to send your daughter, or son, to an esteemed school of dance. It could be that their school has a program to offer, or you felt that your offspring should learn basic gracefulness, or that you ultimately believe that your child has the talent – inherited or otherwise – that needs to be explored and nurtured for a possible future in the performing arts. Whatever your reasons are, it starts at an unholy weekend hour of 9:00 am, rain or shine.

Obviously, I'm new to this since we just started last June. But for all my gripes and grouses, I still take my little princess Nana to the dance studio. Even if I have to go through another gasping-for-breath third floor climb. Despite having a headache. Or HO. (Yes, I try to have a life other than being a mom. Lol) My imagined ailments disappear after seeing my little ballerina beaming with joy on her water break. And the sense of accomplishment I see in her after the 45 minute exercise.

On a short term view, I hope that my daughter’s dance lessons will build her discipline and confidence. And develop her ability for teamwork - to think not only for herself but also of the welfare of her fellow dancers. But at 8 years old, my daughter has a looooong way to go.

Should I dare mention that on the long term basis, I hope that she can qualify for an apprenticeship in a New York dance academy? Nah, that's just me dreaming. And never will I impose my aspirations and/or frustrations on my children! Haha.

On the brighter side, there are very good schools of dance for classical ballet here in Iloilo City. They are as follows:
Each of the above schools has garnered their own awards and recognition in the field of classical ballet. There are also other dance companies in the city. Some school-based; others led by private individuals. The repertoire can range from ballet, jazz, modern, salsa to street-dance and hip-hop.

Whatever your child desires, encourage it as venue of self-expression. Aside from the exercise, it can keep the youngsters away for a few hours from their virtual nanny called Video Games or the Internet. At least we agree on that, right?

Live. Leap. Let go!


Nana doing bar exercises @ SFSD. Cutesies!

No comments:

Post a Comment