Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Have A Great Day!

Accidental hiring. That's what happened to me five months ago. I got called for initial interview, passed the exams, hurdled the final screening and found myself with a job. In a business processes outsourcing company  otherwise known as a call center. The reasons that I accepted this particular offer was:
  1. it was for a pioneer account 
  2. the training manager promised that it is a difficult account 
  3. tedium can generate a craving for extreme challenges
  4. I rather like their office building
The starting pay was industry standard; just enough to keep you going. But since it was not really my main motivation, I will not elaborate. Lol. But I love the company. How it takes care of its people and at the same time, satisfying the stringent demands of the client. I was happy to build another career. If I can survive my own personal challenges.
  • Challenge #1: Leaving the kids at night when I go to work. Though the older kids were reluctantly understanding, it was Kiki who broke my heart with her silent tears. She even placed a picture of me under her pillow. So that she will not miss me that much, she said. Awwww... Pop was supportive enough to wait up and lock the gate when I leave at 10:30pm. Hehe.
  • Challenge #2: Sleeping during daytime. Man, this was really hard! I need to be asleep by 1pm at the latest so I can wake up refreshed 7 hours later. I've resorted to a lot of rituals: no coffee after 6am, herbal tea, non-narcotic sleep aids, warm baths, melatonin capsules, eye masks, etc. Sleep was particularly elusive in the heat of the summer afternoons!
  • Challenge #3: Five meals a day. Yes, night shift does that to you. Breakfast is at 9pm, Lunch at 1am, Merienda at 5am, Dinner at 8am, Midnite Snack at 12pm if you're still awake. And everything goes straight to one's hips.
  • Challenge #4: Diverse personalities. It's been quite sometime since I met a lot of new peeps in one go. Colorful characters, young-at-hearts, tenured agents, and fresh graduates. Mon Dieu, some of my wavemates were half my age! Hahaha. But our shared passion bonded us as a team. We were invincible! char. haha
  • Challenge #5: Actual work. The account itself was very technical. Product training was 3 long nose-bleeding months. I swear the first time I took in a call, I froze. Then I was shaking. Like wintry chill kind of shake. When the call ended, I was drenched in cold sweat yet I was parched. Everything was just short of terrifying! First time indeed.
Eventually work cloaked me like a second skin. Where metrics run parallel with resolutions. (call center jargon. I know right?) My call stats were not too bad. And I practically overcame my own challenges. Brought it down to manageable levels. Hooorray for me!

But just when I was getting the hang of it, health issues cropped up! To make the short story shorter, my body cannot handle the graveyard shift lifestyle. It woke up the latent talents of my advancing age. Hence hypertension, high cholesterol and beyond borderline blood sugar made their presence known. The physician said this is mainly because of the time of work. He further explained that our body is programmed to rest at night. He said stuff about melatonin, circadian rhythm, etc. Bottom line was: I was not that young anymore. Get regular sleep at night. Or suffer the consequences! Huhuhu.

I made the tough decision of leaving a job I was getting fond of. I know I disappointed my trainor. Gosh, I also let my team down! But my kids are still young. I have to take care of my health for them... All in all, I had no regrets of working in a call center. I have learned a lot from the company, my colleagues and a few things about myself too. I only wish that industry standard pay is a little higher; to compensate the stress and anxiety an agent has to go through at work..

Nevertheless, to all call center agents: my profound respect! Thank you for continuing as strong pillars of our country's economy!


*** I wrote this last June 25. Right after I processed my company clearance. Saved it in draft. And totally forgot about it!  Senior moment. Sorry for the late publish :-D


wave1. ft grad. photo by starr :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment