Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Milestones

When I typed in today's blog title, I didn't know that there is more to the word than just the usual very important events in one's life. I researched it (Google of course!) and found this charming piece about the Seven Milestones of Life. According to this article, I'm somewhere in my 4th milestone but the actual numbers of significant points in my life exceed it. Here's an excerpt of Ma Vie:
  • At 20, I got 2 pieces of legal sized papers encasing my 4 years worth of blood, sweat and tears in the institution of higher learning. I heard you need this to get a decent job.
  • At 30, I got another 2 pieces of paper; one declared I got married and the other one said I gave birth a year after. Also bits of receipts when totaled makes me question the state of my liver.
  • At 40, I already accumulated some papers. Birth certificates, bills from credit cards, boarding passes, etc. But most outstanding at this point was that paper which said retired. It came with a small pile of notes that you can keep in a bank. But that was long gone before I can put my name on it. Lameness on my part.
Now as I write, I pondered: Should life's milestones be attached to a paper? Can that paper bear witness to what we have done with our life? And since we are moving to the paperless age (to save the trees!) will digital images do justice in preserving our life story? (Ugh, I just remembered fiddling with the digital cam and successfully deleted my son's entire Christmas number with his first solo singing part! All with just one wrong touch of a measly button! Grrr.)

Though it will be years yet, I'm looking forward to being 50. Like Madonna's 50-is-the-new-30 kind of 50. Able, blooming, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, fit, hale and hearty 50. I wonder what kind of papers will mark that golden year. And the following years too... As no one is really ready to get the inevitable final paper, we will best leave it alone. Agree?

She doesn't look a day over 60!
Actually, this blog is inspired by Nanay Amelia. Older sister of my father-in-law, she turned an amazing 90! She didn't want any ruckus of a party. So she got a surprise party instead. As inscribed in a board paper of an invitation. Elegant and in the pink of health, Nanay Amelia still plays a mean game of mahjong in between puffs of her tabako. If she decides to bottle her secret to living long and well, I'd gladly buy it too! Haha. How about you? Which of life's paper are you holding now?

Live! Long! Lasting!


Pepo & Nelz provided great music at Nanay Amelia's party. 
Post a comment if you need their details :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment